Friday, June 18, 2010

Returning the Poem to Its Natural Habitat

The reading I was a part of last night, "The Shape of Words to Come," was phenomenal. And I'm not saying that because I like the sound of my own voice, but because it was a true synergy of elements. Also, for some reason I wasn't nervous, which I think I'll attribute to the presence of so many friends.

LaunchPad
, where it took place, was ideal. Apparently the guys who run the multipurpose art space secured funding through grants. It's intimate without being tiny, has a lovely backyard, and is generally a great and well-run setup. They were the perfect hosts.

For a taste of who to look for in poetry's near future, check out some of the poets' online publications:

Britt Gambino's Histology
Stephanie Paterik's In the Hammock

I used to want to stockpile my poems, as many of them are inspired by autobiography and in a sense I'm a private person. But this has been changing for the last several years, and the more I read and share, the less attached I feel to my work. It's like freeing an animal back into the wild--I take comfort in knowing that the poem's natural habitat is neither in me nor in you, but some middle distance where we continue to keep it alive together.

1 comment:

  1. I like hearing the sound of your voice! It was an amazing reading. Thanks, Poets + Launchpad, for having us :)

    ReplyDelete